Saturday, October 16, 2010

Christmas Stocking #1

I've finished something!  I love finishing projects.  Since baby girl came along, my rate of finishing projects has declined dramatically.  But that is perfectly ok, as my time is now taken up with other very pleasant things like learning how to crawl (yep!) and pull ourselves up (brilliant!).

I have in my queue no less than three Christmas stockings.  I finish a project, on average, every one to two months.  As it is now October, I'm not really sure how I'm going to be completing all three stockings.  But Christmas deadlines are all a part of knitting!

Christmas Stocking #1:
And yes, I know this is a horrible picture.  Becoming a fantastic photographer is on my to-do list.  After learning how to sew, grow my ownfood, and raise chickens.  Someday.

Right, back to the knitting.  This stocking is for my sister's little girl.  I made stockings for her two sons, and so this little one needed a matching stocking too.  An odd note about these stockings - they're not blocked.  That's right, I didn't block any of them.  I know, I know, but I have a good reason.  Ok so the first two stockings were made when I was new to knitting.  I hadn't yet grasped what blocking can do for you, how it smooths everything out and really "finishes" a project.  I was in college and a little bit lazy and I didn't want to make the extra effort.  Now this stocking I would block, but then it wouldn't match the others in their lumpy imperfection.  Plus, and this is really more to the point, the product I use for blocking (Kookaburra, which is very nice), contains nut oil, and one of my sister's sons is allergic.  So long story short, I'm committing some knitting sacrelege and not blocking this stocking either!  That's right, I'm a crazy lady!

Project Details
Pattern:  Striped Christmas Stocking
Yarn:  Frog Tree Alpaca that I bought from Kaleidoscope Yarns (love this store)

2 comments:

  1. Love the stocking!! Raise chickens? Really? I never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chicken farm can be next to my chicken farm and we can share a vegetable patch! <3 Love the stocking. I have the fabric and pattern to make ours, and I am not sure if it'll get done for this Christmas or not. Such is life!

    ReplyDelete